New History of Infant Feeding Exhibit on the 2nd Floor

The Strauss Health Sciences Library is always rotating its exhibits and displays. This is the second of three new exhibits on the history of medicine, all of which can be found in the 2nd Floor Rotunda. Stop by and see them in-person or read more about Medicine Trade Cards and Dissection on the Library News Blog!


For most of history, there was no real alternative to breast feeding. The main reasons were the stigma of not breast feeding, and the lack of research on the subject. There was also no equipment available to artificially feed infants.

For the rich, the ability to hire a wet nurse allowed mothers the freedom to continue their regular lives. For the poor, however, a new baby would tie a mother to the home for years. Industrialization, beginning in the mid-19th century, forced a change in the way infants were raised.

Once women began to enter the work force, breast feeding became harder for working women, and alternatives needed to be found.

Located in the Second Floor rotunda on the South side of the Strauss Health Sciences Library.


This was written by Paul Andrews. You can contact AskUs with any questions.

New Dissection Exhibit on the 2nd Floor

The use of human cadaveric dissection became a tool for teaching anatomy at the University of Montpellier in 1350, and became a fully sanctioned and regular part of anatomy education at the University of Paris in 1407.

By the mid-1800s, dissection to teach anatomy was key to medical education. Although there are several other ways to study anatomy, from books to virtual reality, research shows that dissection is invaluable.

Besides the anatomical knowledge gained, it is important in training empathetic physicians.

Located in the Second Floor rotunda on the South side of the Strauss Health Sciences Library.

This was written by Paul Andrews. You can contact AskUs with any questions.

New Cytoscopy Exhibit on the 2nd Floor

Modern cystoscopy and endoscopy has its roots in a physician’s need for a better way to examine their patients internally, and the imagination that need drove.

The first scope for examination was created in 1804, and developments have not slowed. 

Visit the second floor rotunda on the South side of the Strauss Health Sciences Library to view a new exhibit exploring the history and development of cystoscopy equipment.

Dr. Kildare Board Game Exhibit on 2nd Floor

Strauss Health Sciences Library’s Collection Development Technician, Paul Andrews is back with a brand new exhibit in the 2nd Floor rotunda!


The Dr. Kildare board game was donated by Dr. Robert H. Shikes. M.D.

Dr. Kildare ran for five seasons on NBC from 1961 to 1966.  The show starred Richard Chamberlin as Dr. James Kildare, a popular character created by writer Frederick Faust, the subject of a series of MGM films and radio series in the 30s and 40s.  Dr. Kildare took place at Blair General Hospital and told the story of a young intern learning how to be a doctor.

The Strauss Health Sciences Library has a Dr. Kildare game that was released by IDEAL in 1962.  The object of the game is to visit the rooms indicated on the Diagnosis Cards and collect Doctor Cards, which mark the rooms you’ve visited.  Once you have visited the thirteen rooms needed to make a diagnosis, you use the wheel to decode what is wrong with your patient.  The first one to collect and decipher their cards is the winner. 

Visit the second floor rotunda, on the south side of the library to view the Dr. Kildare Game exhibit.  If that sparks your need to play a board game, visit the Service Desk on the first floor, where you can check out Scrabble, Yahtzee, Chess, and Operation!


Subscribe to the blog to receive updates on new exhibits and other exciting news from the Strauss Health Sciences Library!

Colorado Drugstore Bottles

The Colorado drugstore bottles were donated by Dr. Robert H. Shikes. M.D.

Gold was discovered in Colorado in 1859, and a huge influx of prospectors flooded the territory to strike it rich.  Soon Denver, where some of the first traces of gold were found at the confluence of Cherry Creek and the Platte River, became the center of the much of the growth of what would become the state of Colorado.  The new settlers required the services of many professions to help them in their new lives, including doctors and pharmacists.  Soon, the local drugstore was an integral part of the community.

The local drugstore provided the medications locally compounded and placed in unique glass bottles that also served as advertisements.  The local drugstore served the people Colorado up until large chain drugstores began to buy local stores in the early 20th Century.

Visit the South 2nd floor landing to explore some of the Health Sciences Library’s collection of Colorado Drugstore Bottles.

Paul Andrews, MA

Collection Development

New Exhibit Space in the Library

Please visit the Denison Family and Dr. Florence Sabin exhibits at their new home on the first floor of the Health Sciences Library.

Two exhibit cases that were previously in the Reading Room on the third floor have been moved to the first floor.  These exhibit cases explore the histories of the Denison Family and Dr. Florence Sabin, perhaps one of the most famous doctors from Colorado.

Dr. Charles Denison was a prominent Denver physician who also taught, did ground breaking research in climate and tuberculosis, and invented a stethoscope that became a standard in the early 20th century.  In 1924, his wife Ella Strong Denison, donated the funds to build a new medical library in his honor.  The Charles Denison Memorial Library was the health sciences library on the 9th Avenue University of Colorado Health Sciences Center campus until it closed in 2007, when the Health Sciences Library moved to the Anschutz Medical Campus.

Dr. Florence Sabin’s connection to the University of Colorado was a long one.  In 1937, she delivered the keynote address at the dedication of the Charles Denison, M/D. Memorial Library.  On her 80th birthday, a wing of the original University of Colorado hospital was named in her honor.  When the new University of Colorado Hospital was built in 1962, the building became the University of Colorado School of Medicine.  The auditorium that bore Dr. Sabin’s name was used by students until the day the 9th Ave campus was closed.  Many of the artifacts displayed here were housed in the auditorium, and when the campus moved, they became a permanent part of the Health Sciences Library’s collection.

Phrenology – Mid 19th to early 20th century

From the 1840s to the 1920s, the popular medical movement of Phrenology took hold in the U.S. During this time phrenology was similar to pop-psychology. Phrenology was the pseudo-science that claimed to be able to identify a person’s character by the bumps on their skull. The ‘evidence’ was the belief that the brain was made up of 37 unique organs that each controlled a behavior or personality trait. Many practitioners of Phrenology, including most famously the Fowler family, believed that the organs could be exercised and a person could have a better and happier life. It also had contemporary critics and a sinister side.

The Health Science Library has several distinctive artifacts from the mid-19th to early 20th Century practice of Phrenology on exhibit. Please visit the second floor rotunda to experience the past of Phrenology.

Paul Andrews, MA
Collection Development

Art from CU Denver|Anschutz Medical Campus Community 2017

cushow_banner_2017

Art from the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus Community is an exhibition presented by the Exhibits Committee of the Health Sciences Library.

There are many talented artists on our campuses! This juried annual exhibition is an opportunity for us to learn about our talented co-workers, faculty, staff, and students.

Exhibit dates: January 5 – March 31, 2017
Opening Reception: January 26, 2017, 3 pm – 5 pm in Gallery
Location: Health Sciences Library, Gallery, 3rd Floor (directions and parking)

Medical Lecture Ticket exhibit

Denver & Gross College of Medicine     University of Denver Lecture Course Ticket
Before the rigorous application process of formal medical education was required, anyone who could afford a few dollars could attend medical lectures, and eventually become a doctor.  The Medical Lecture Ticket exhibit showcases several lecture tickets from all over the US, including from the University of Denver’s Dental Department and the Denver and Gross Medical College.  The tickets represent an era where there was little regulation and oversight.  Although seen as democratizing education, the medical ticket system often led to abuse and poorly trained doctors.  The tickets disappeared as medical education reformers began to create the modern medical school application process and curriculum that medical school follow today.

— Paul Andrews

Medical Lectures Tickets

 

DNA to Beer: Harnessing Nature in Medicine and Industry

dna-to-beer

On Display September 19 to November 6, 2016 in the 3rd floor Library Gallery

From DNA to Beer: The exhibition illustrates the history of this dynamic relationship among
microbes, medicine, technology, and industry, which has spanned centuries.

The exhibition is accompanied by MillerCoors historic advertisements, and original artwork, Good Times, by Gordon Snidow.
An exhibit of home-brewing equipment will also be on display

This exhibition was developed and produced by the National Library of Medicine and the
Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History.  

Call for Entries: Art from the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus Community 2017

Call for submissions – Art from the CU Denver-Anschutz Medical Campus Community 2017

The Exhibits Committee of the Health Sciences Library will be curating an exhibit of artwork
created by faculty, staff and students of the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus.

There are many talented artists at our two locations! This juried exhibition is an opportunity for us to learn about our talented co-workers, faculty, and students.

This exhibit will be on display January 5, 2017 — March 31, 2017 in the Gallery of the
Health Sciences Library. An Opening Reception will be held on January 26, 2017 3:00-5:00 pm.

The Exhibits Committee is looking for submissions of all types of art created by members
of either CU Anschutz or CU Denver!

To submit artwork to be considered for inclusion in the show, please use the online form

The submission deadline is October 31, 2016.

For more information, contact Debra Miller at debra.miller@ucdenver.edu or 303-724-2131.

De Humani Corporis Fabrica on Display in Boulder, August 8-31

The Health Sciences Library’s copy of the second edition of Vesalius’ great anatomy book, De Humani Corporis Fabrica, will be on display at the University of Colorado Art Museum in Boulder from the 8th through the 31st of August. De Humani Corporis Fabrica, plus other items borrowed from collections at CU—including rare books from Norlin’s Special Collections and Archives and costumes from the Colorado Shakespeare Festival—is part of the museum’s exhibition celebrating the arrival of  First Folio! The Book that Gave Us Shakespeare, on loan from the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, DC.

Andreas Vesalius’  De Humani Corporis Fabrica, first published in 1543, marked the transition of the study of anatomy from medieval to modern. While not the first anatomical work based on direct observation, its scope and the quality of its illustrations and typography made it hugely influential. The best-known images in the Fabrica are the “muscle men” from book 2, a series of progressively dissected figures dramatically posed in a landscape. The second edition was published in 1555, nine years before Shakespeare’s birth. The Health Sciences Library’s copy is bound in a beautiful sixteenth-century alum-tawed pigskin binding with brass clasps.

The First Folio, the first collected edition of Shakespeare’s plays, was published in 1623, seven years after the playwright’s death. The Folger Shakespeare Library is sending selected copies of the First Folio on a national tour of American museums, libraries, and universities to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death. Visitors to First Folio! will come face to face with the original 1623 book, displayed open to Hamlet’s speech in which he debates whether “to be or not to be.” The tour is organized and sponsored by the Folger Shakespeare Library, the Cincinnati Museum Center and the American Library Association. By the end of 2016, First Folios will have been exhibited in all 50 states, Washington, DC, and Puerto Rico.

The CU Art Museum, is located in the Visual Art Center at CU Boulder (1085 18th Street, Boulder CO 80309) and is open Monday through Saturday  11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays until 7:00 p.m. There is no admission fee, but visitors to the First Folio exhibit are asked to sign up for timed tickets at http://www.colorado.edu/cuartmuseum/exhibitions/view-upcoming/first-folio-book-gave-us-shakespeare

Learn more about the months of programming celebrating the arrival of the First Folio at the website: http://www.colorado.edu/shakespeareatcu/

Vesalius_De_humani_corporis_fabrica_Port

While the Health Sciences Library’s copy of the second edition of Vesalius’ De Humani Corporis Fabrica is on display in Boulder, the first edition remains available for use in Aurora. Rare materials are available to individuals or groups by appointment on Wednesday mornings and Thursday afternoons, or at other times by arrangement. To schedule an appointment, contact Emily Epstein, emily.epstein@ucdenver.edu or call 303-724-2119.

[Emily Epstein, Cataloging Librarian]

Moments in Medicine

Men of the Day, Vanity FairHistory of Medicine Hunter (Small) (2)
Now showing in the Library Gallery through June, 2016:

Fourteen prints from the Great Moments in Medicine and Great Moments in Pharmacy
series produced by the Parke-Davis pharmaceutical company and donated by George and Ginny Schiel.

Six “Men of the Day” prints from Vanity Fair and twelve water color prints of physicians
from the Greek to the 19th Century, showing their professional dress, which were donated by Presbyterian-St. Lukes.