New Exhibit Space in the Library

Please visit the Dension Family and Dr. Florence Sabin exhibits at their new home on the first floor of the Health Sciences Library.

Two exhibit cases that were previously in the Reading Room on the third floor have been moved to the first floor.  These exhibit cases explore the histories of the Denison Family and Dr. Florence Sabin, perhaps one of the most famous doctors from Colorado.

Dr. Charles Denison was a prominent Denver physician who also taught, did ground breaking research in climate and tuberculosis, and invented a stethoscope that became a standard in the early 20th century.  In 1924, his wife Ella Strong Denison, donated the funds to build a new medical library in his honor.  The Charles Denison Memorial Library was the health sciences library on the 9th Avenue University of Colorado Health Sciences Center campus until it closed in 2007, when the Health Sciences Library moved to the Anschutz Medical Campus.

Dr. Florence Sabin’s connection to the University of Colorado was a long one.  In 1937, she delivered the keynote address at the dedication of the Charles Denison, M/D. Memorial Library.  On her 80th birthday, a wing of the original University of Colorado hospital was named in her honor.  When the new University of Colorado Hospital was built in 1962, the building became the University of Colorado School of Medicine.  The auditorium that bore Dr. Sabin’s name was used by students until the day the 9th Ave campus was closed.  Many of the artifacts displayed here were housed in the auditorium, and when the campus moved, they became a permanent part of the Health Sciences Library’s collection.

Artifacts Profile: Sabin Statue

Sabin3

HSL has featured a rare book profile in the blog, and now we have the first artifacts profile!  This first entry features the Sabin statue, located in the third floor reading room, which was chosen in conjunction with Women’s History Month.

Sabin2

Florence Rena Sabin, M.D.

1871-1953

Florence Sabin was born in Central City Colorado on November 9th, 1871.  She left Colorado to attend Smith College in 1893, and then attended the John Hopkins University School of Medicine.  She was the first woman to graduate from that institution.  In 1917, she was appointed as a professor of histology.  Dr. Sabin was elected as the president of the American Association of Anatomists and became a member of the National Academy of Sciences.  She was the first women to hold a full professorship and to be admitted to these organizations.

Dr. Sabin became the head of the Department of Cellular Studies at the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research, in 1925.  She focused her research in the lymphatic system, blood vessels and cells, and tuberculosis.  She retired in 1938.

She came out of retirement in 1944 to accept a request from John Vivian, the governor of Colorado, to chair a state subcommittee on public health.  The committees work resulted in the Sabin Health Laws, which modernized Colorado’s public health system.  She became the manager of health and charities for Denver in 1948, and donated her salary to medical research.  Dr. Sabin retired again in 1951, just two years before her death.

Dr. Florence Sabin’s connection to the University of Colorado was a long one.  In 1937, she delivered the keynote address at the dedication of the Charles Denison, M.D. Memorial Library.  On her 80th birthday, a wing of the original University of Colorado hospital was named in her honor.  When the new University of Colorado Hospital was built in 1962, the building became the University of Colorado School of Medicine.  The auditorium that bore Dr. Sabin’s name was used by students until the day the 9th Ave campus was closed.  Many of the artifacts displayed here were housed in the auditorium, and when the campus moved, they became a permanent part of the Health Sciences Library’s collection.

In 1954, the people of Colorado choose Dr. Florence Sabin as the first Coloradan to be honored in Statuary Hall, in the National Capital Rotunda.  The statue was sculpted by Joy Buba and was presented to the public in February 26th, 1959.

Sabin4 Joy-Buba-and-statue

The Health Sciences Library has a collection of Dr. Florence Sabin artifacts, including a miniature version of the statue that is exhibited in Washington D.C.  The artifacts are currently exhibited in the Reading Room, on the library’s third floor, but will soon be moved to a new location in the library.

[Article written by Paul Andrews, Collection Development Technician]

Sabin1

New Exhibit in the Lobby: Deadly Medicine

IMG_2655

The Fulginiti Pavilion will be opening its next exhibit Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race, a traveling exhibit from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, in conjunction with the Holocaust Genocide and Contemporary Bioethics Program at the Fulginiti.

Deadly Medicine Announcement

The exhibit at the Fulginiti will be opening on March 20, and will be there from March 20 through May 22, 2018. The opening reception will be Thursday, March 22 from 5-8pm.

Deadly Medicine Creating the Master Race

The new exhibit in the main lobby at HSL features information about the upcoming exhibit and also some related materials from the library.  HSL partnered with the Fulginiti to open this exhibit and the exhibit contains materials from both organizations.

Four Questions by Judy Chicago and Donald Woodman

The Fulginiti measured the case and added the great banner at the back of the case.  The images on the two sides of the case also show previous Holocaust-related exhibits that visited the Fulginiti.  On the left are images from the exhibit Four Questions by Judy Chicago and Donald Woodman, and on the right IWASWILLBE: The Holocaust Series, Paintings by Geoffrey Laurence.

ISWASWILLBE

 

Six of the books in the case are provided by faculty:

The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide by Robert Jay Lifton (also available at the library)

Jewish Eugenics by John Glad

Cleansing the Fatherland: Nazi Medicine and Racial Hygiene by Aly, Pross, and Chroust

Medicine, Ethics, and the Third Reich by John J. Michalczyk

Racial Hygiene by Robert N. Proctor (also available at the library)

Doctors Under Hitler by Michael H. Kater (also available at the library)

 

The other five books are from the collections at HSL:

Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race, the volume about the exhibit by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (from the Medical Humanities collection)

Jews and Medicine: Religion, Culture, Science by Natalia Berger (from the Indigenous collection) (open to the chapter, Jewish Medicine During the Holocaust in the Ghettos and Forests by Daniel Nadav)

When Medicine Went Mad: Bioethics and the Holocaust by Arthur L. Caplan

The Last Witness: The Child Survivor of the Holocaust by Judith S. Kestenberg and Ira Brenner

Atlas of Topographical and Applied Human Anatomy edited by Helmut Ferner (located in the Oversize collection, a three volume set with volume one in the exhibit case)

Stethoscopes Exhibit on 2nd Floor

There is a new exhibit in the glass case located in the vestibule on the second floor, near the elevator.

IMG_2426

This exhibits features some of the stethoscopes from the artifacts collection.  The exhibit is curated by Paul Andrews, who manages the medical artifact collection at HSL.  Paul frequently curates exhibits throughout the library featuring artifacts.

IMG_2436              IMG_2431

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you would like to learn more about the artifacts, you can search the library’s artifacts and request an appointment with Paul.  There are also other exhibits featuring artifacts in the 3rd floor reading room if you are interested is seeing more examples of the artifacts at HSL.

IMG_2432