Today’s Internal Medicine Morbidity and Mortality Conference focused on a patient with type 1 diabetes who had difficulty with glycemic control during hospitalization. Here are several articles for background information:
- Inpatient glycemic control: Best practice advice from the Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians. Qaseem A, Chou R, Humphrey LL, Shekelle P; Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians. Am J Med Qual. 2014 Mar-Apr;29(2):95-8. PMID: 23709472. Full text (free to UCD-AMC affiliates).
- Management of hyperglycemia in hospitalized patients in non-critical care setting: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Umpierrez GE, Hellman R, Korytkowski MT, Kosiborod M, Maynard GA, Montori VM, Seley JJ, Van den Berghe G; Endocrine Society. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Jan;97(1):16-38. PMID: 22223765. Full text (free to UCD-AMC affiliates).
- Hospital management of hyperglycemia. Lleva RR, Inzucchi SE. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2011 Apr;18(2):110-8. PMID: 21358407. Full text (free to UCD-AMC affiliates).
- Intensive insulin therapy in hospitalized patients: A systematic review. Kansagara D, Fu R, Freeman M, Wolf F, Helfand M. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Feb 15;154(4):268-82. PMID: 21320942. Full text (free to UCD-AMC affiliates).
Three studies were presented at the end of conference as teaching points:
- Patient communication during handovers between emergency medicine and internal medicine residents. Fischer M, Hemphill RR, Rimler E, Marshall S, Brownfield E, Shayne P, Di Francesco L, Santen SA. J Grad Med Educ. 2012 Dec;4(4):533-7. PMID: 24294436. Free full text.
- Exploring emergency physician-hospitalist handoff interactions: Development of the Handoff Communication Assessment. Apker J, Mallak LA, Applegate EB 3rd, Gibson SC, Ham JJ, Johnson NA, Street RL Jr. Ann Emerg Med. 2010 Feb;55(2):161-70. PMID: 19944486. Full text (free to UCD-AMC affiliates).
- Chart biopsy: An emerging medical practice enabled by electronic health records and its impacts on emergency department-inpatient admission handoffs. Hilligoss B, Zheng K. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013 Mar-Apr;20(2):260-7. PMID: 22962194. Free full text.
Kristen DeSanto, MSLS, MS, RD, AHIP
email@example.com • 303-724-2121