The Blood Donor Center currently has about three times the number of Hematology/Oncology patients we normally see this time of year, and are transfusing a much higher volume of platelets than average. We need your help to ensure that we are able to meet patient needs!
The Health Sciences Library is hosting a week-long platelet drive
Make an appointment today by calling (720) 777-5398
Dates: Monday, July 20th to Friday, July 24th
Time: 6:30am – 12:15pm
Location: Children’s Hospital Colorado Blood Donor Center on 13123 E 16th Ave, Aurora, CO 80045 (Map)
How do I make an appointment? Call (720) 777-5398
What do I bring to my appointment? Your government-issued ID
Who do I call if I have a question? Jen Sipe, Donor Resource Coordinator, at (720) 777-1846
Why Donate Platelets at Children’s Hospital Colorado?
- Platelets only last five days, so we always need platelet donors.
- Children’s Hospital Colorado provided over 3,400 platelet transfusions in the last year alone.
- Our Blood Donor Center provides 99.3% of the blood transfused at here at Children’s Hospital Colorado.
- Having our own Blood Donor Center allows us to meet the specialized needs of children.
What is a platelet donation? Platelets are the components of your blood necessary to control bleeding. During a procedure called apheresis, we use a Trima machine to separate your blood into its individual components: red cells, plasma & platelets. The machine can then collect just the platelets from your blood (or a combination of platelets, plasma &/or red cells) and return the rest using just one needle.
- Platelet donations take about 2 hours.
- We provide movies to watch, free Wi-Fi & plenty of snacks and drinks.
- You can donate platelets every 2 weeks (up to 24 times a year).
- Children’s Hospital Colorado has on-site child care (call for details).
- Your donation could save or enhance up to FIVE children’s lives!
How are platelets used? Platelets are given to children with a variety of medical conditions such as:
- Undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- Bone marrow transplants
- Organ transplants
- Surgical procedures
- Blood disorders
BEFORE YOU DONATE
- Be sure to eat a full meal an hour or two before your donation.
- Drink plenty of water and limit caffeine intake.
- Review the eligibility questions on our website.
- Increase your calcium intake an hour before your donation.
- Avoid aspirin for at least 48 hours before donating platelets. *If you have been prescribed aspirin by your doctor, please get your doctors approval before discontinuing.
Donor Resource Coordinator
Blood Donor Center | Children’s Hospital Colorado
13123 East 16th Avenue, Box B605 | Aurora, CO 80045
Phone: (720) 777-1846 | Fax: (720) 777-7255 | email@example.com
Connect with Children’s Hospital Colorado on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest