In Fall/Winter 2019, PubMed will be undergoing some changes to the interface. If you want to see some of the changes that are coming before the current version of PubMed is replaced, you can visit PubMed Labs, the experimental platform that has some of the major updates already available.
Wondering what’s new? Here are some of the updated features:
Enhanced Search Results
The new version of PubMed (currently PubMed Labs) will have an enhanced relevant sort option, named Best Match, that ranks search results according to several relevance signals, including an article’s popularity, its publication date and type, and its query-document relevant score.
The search results page will now automatically include highlighted text fragments from the article abstract that are selected based on relevance to the search.
Have you ever tried to use PubMed on your phone or tablet? The current version doesn’t work very well, but the new version of PubMed will feature a mobile-first responsive layout that offers better support for smaller device screens. The new interface will be compatible with any screen size no matter how you access PubMed.
Jose M. Wiley editor. Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2019
The UBCM (User Based Collection Management) collection allows us to see which of the eBooks in Wiley that you, our patrons and users, are the most interested in. With this model, Strauss library has access to the entire eBook collection for one year, until April 2020.
Need a quick fitness break during your day, but don’t have time for the gym? Strauss Library now has various new exercise gadgets, including balance boards, exercise balls, foam rollers & neck massagers, yoga mats, pushup stands, & more! All items check out for 4 hours- ask for more details at our Service Desk. Give them a try, & recharge without ever leaving the library!
The National Library of Medicine (NLM), founded in 1836, is one of the 27 Institutes and Centers of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). It is the world’s largest biomedical library and the developer of open access electronic information services that deliver trillions of bytes of data to millions of users every day.
These resources span numerous subject areas and disciplines including: biochemistry, HIV/AIDS, emergency and disaster medicine, drug therapy, epidemiology, genetics, geriatrics, molecular biology, pharmacology, toxicology, tropical medicine, women‘s health, consumer and patient health, and clinical trials. MedlinePlus, PubMed, ClinicalTrials.gov, and TOXNET are a few of the most popular resources. The NLM also manages and develops programs in an effort to eliminate disparities in accessing health information by providing community outreach support, training of health professionals to use NLM’s health information databases, and in times of disaster manage efforts to organize and disseminate health information.
To advance this mission, the NLM initiated the Regional Medical Library (RML) Program over 40 years ago, and today it’s known as the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM). The Network, comprised of eight regions, promotes and increases access to health information in urban, rural and frontier communities across the United States. With some 6,500-member institutions –including hospital, academic, school, and public libraries, public health, and community based organizations – the Network and its members provide health professionals, libraries and the general public with health information resources and services.
The MidContinental Region (MCR) of NNLM includes Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah, and Wyoming. It is administered through the University of Utah’s Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, but each state in the region has a dedicated outreach coordinator. In addition to its focus on health information outreach, the MCR also concentrates on areas such as community and library engagement, education, research enterprise, rural health, and technology.
Since the inception of the RML Program, the Strauss Health Sciences Library has served as a Partner Library with the MCR. In this role the Library, through a cooperative agreement with Eccles, is able to fund a state outreach coordinator position. The coordinator travels to the four corners of Colorado to connect with community-based organizations, the public health workforce, clinical care settings, community members, and library staff – including those serving tribal communities – to conduct hands-on train the trainer sessions on health information resources pertinent to professional development and community members. They also provide online health information resources, present at conferences, and exhibit at events on behalf of NLM.
The Network could not exist without such library partnerships. Every community in each state has unique health information needs and it’s through NNLM’s field force of coordinators that needs are identified, partnerships and collaborations occur, and individuals access information to assist in making informed health decisions.
This was written by Dana, you can contact AskUs with questions.
Dr. Charles Meader was the seventh Dean of the University Of Colorado School Of Medicine. He served as Dean from 1916 to 1925. Perhaps one of the most important acts of Dr. Meader’s tenure as Dean was to move all the operations of the schools of medicine and nursing to a central location in Denver. He wrote the bills that paved the way for the construction of the University of Colorado Health Sciences Campus at 9th and Colorado.
The Strauss Health Sciences Library received a donation of documents and artifacts from the Dean’s Office of the School of Medicine in 2016. Included in the donation were the original documents that Dean Meader prepared for the acts that created the 9th Avenue Campus. The collection contains several drafts of the bills that established the original University Hospital and the Colorado Psychopathic Hospital. Two versions of the bills are handwritten by Dr. Meader with several notes and have many more sections that appear in the finalized bills. There are also several studies and reports from other states, which Dean Meader may have used to shape the language of the bills. In one of the early drafts of the bill, he wrote ‘Section 11. Incorporate Section 10 of Minnesota Act, altering phraseology to conform to Colorado conditions.’ Section 10 deals with fess involved in transporting patients.
Dr. Charles Meader began the work to build the University of Colorado Health Sciences Campus at 9th and Colorado after the University had gone through a long history of moving back and forth from Boulder to Denver. In 1879, the Regents of the University of Colorado issued an announcement saying ‘The object of the establishment of this Department [of Medicine] is to secure a good medical education for those who may in the future be entrusted with the lives and with the health of our citizens. The Regents believe that the lives and health of the people of Colorado are not second in importance to another interest that can be subserved by the State University. The Medical Department of the University, like the other Departments of this institution, assumes no unjustifiable superiority over colleges. It aims to emulate the best school, but chooses to establish its own standard. The State of Colorado, through the Medical Department of its State University, offers no facile inducements to graduation, but proposes to serve the best interest of the citizens of the State.’ This began the University of Colorado Department Of Medicine. When it was instituted in 1883, it was originally housed in two rooms of CU’s Old Main, and a 30 bed teaching hospital in Boulder. Budget problems, the small size of the hospital, and pressure to compete with other medical schools in Denver, such as the Denver and Gross College of Medicine, prompted the medical school to move, in part, to Denver. All the clinical work the students did was moved to Arapahoe County Hospital (later Denver General) in 1893. However, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that all students of the University of Colorado had to be taught in Boulder, so the clinical side of the school was moved back in 1897. In 1910, the rules were changed, and the clinical curriculum was able to legally move back to Denver. The school was housed at the James B. Archer Mansion at 1301 Welton St. from 1911 to 1924. Dean Meader began working on the acts to incorporate the teaching and clinical work of the health sciences programs as soon as he became Dean, in 1916.
The two bills Dr. Meader wrote were to build, fund, and maintain
the Colorado Psychopathic Hospital, and the University Hospital. The Act to authorize the Colorado Psychopathic Hospital was
sent to the Colorado General Assembly in 1919 and passed. The appropriations
bill, House Bill 140, which authorized a mill levy to help pay for the
Psychopathic Hospital did not pass until 1923. House Bill 232, which authorized
the University Hospital went before the Colorado Assembly in 1923. The Roll
Call for the Assembly vote to authorize the University Hospital are part of the
Dr Meader documents. It shows that it passed 48 to 10, with five members
not casting votes.
The documents we received include three handwritten drafts of the
bills, and several typed versions with notes and revisions. Much of the final
versions of the bills lay out who the hospitals are for, and the price
structures for care, staff, and facilities. The Act to establish the
Psychopathic Hospital says that the hospital will be supervised and governed by
the Regents of the University of Colorado. Section 3 through 7 explains the
power the Regents of the University of Colorado have in administering the new
hospital. It empowers the Regents to acquire land, build the hospital,
and to use temporary buildings until a permanent hospital is built. It
also charges them with hiring a superintendent, and explains the qualifications
needed. Section 6 reads ‘The Board of Regents shall appoint a superintendent,
who shall hold office during their pleasure, and who shall be a physician and
graduate of an incorporated medical college who shall have had at least ten
years’ experience in the actual practice of his profession, and who shall have
had at least five years actual experience as a neuro-pathologist. The
superintendent shall reside at the hospital, and give his entire time and
attention to the discharge of his official duties and shall receive such
compensation as shall be fixed by the Board of Regents.’ An assistant
supervisor can also be appointed.
The main function of the Psychopathic Hospital was to
care for patients that are placed in the hospital by the courts. Additional room can be offered to volunteer
patients, if there is space. The bill lays out how those patient will be
charged for the hospitals services. A
volunteer patent was to pay for a full month of care when they were admitted,
and then pay for a full month for any additional time they believed they needed
treatment. When the patient was
discharged, they were refunded any money still on account.
The Bill to authorize the University General Hospital
went before the Assembly in 1923. Part of the bill, similar to the
Psychopathic Hospital bill, is to authorize the Regents to build and maintain
the physical hospital, hire staff, and set fees. It set out very clearly
that the hospital is intended for the treatment of citizens of Colorado who may
not be able to afford treatment. Section 3 reads ‘Said University Hospital
shall be primarily and principally designed for the care of legal residents of
Colorado who are afflicted with a malady, deformity or ailment of a nature that
can probably be remedied or improved by hospital care and treatment, and who
are unable financially, to secure such care…’
The Bill to authorize the University General Hospital went before the Assembly in 1923. Part of the bill, similar to the Psychopathic Hospital bill, is to authorize the Regents to build and maintain the physical hospital, hire staff, and set fees. It set out very clearly that the hospital is intended for the treatment of citizens of Colorado who may not be able to afford treatment. Section 3 reads ‘Said University Hospital shall be primarily and principally designed for the care of legal residents of Colorado who are afflicted with a malady, deformity or ailment of a nature that can probably be remedied or improved by hospital care and treatment, and who are unable financially, to secure such care…’
Many of the following sections explains the procedure
to apply for treatment at the hospital, and the fees the County the patient is
a resident of will need to pay. An interesting part of the bill provides
for someone to be paid $3 a day, plus expenses, to transport the patient to and
from the hospital if they are unable to afford to make the trip on their own.
To further emphasize the mission of the hospital,
patients that can pay for care, cannot be admitted unless there is space
available, and their fees will be used to run the hospital. Section 6 says ‘Students of
the university and such other patients as the Board of Regents, to an extent
that will not interfere with the primary purpose of said hospital as set forth
in Section 3 may direct, may be received in said University Hospital whenever
there is room, and all fees received from such patients shall be used for the
purposes of said hospital.’
Once the bills were passed, the Regents started the
process to find a location for the campus and raise the funds to build it. Frederick G. Bonfils, the owner and publisher
of the Denver Post, offered 21 acres of land between 8th and 11th
Avenues at Colorado Blvd, to the Regents in 1922. Previous to the donation being made, the
Regents were negotiating for a plot of land at 26th Ave, just North
of City Park. Once the Bonfils donation
was accepted, the plan for that location was abandoned. Along with a $750,000
donation from the Rockefeller Foundation, and a $600,000 state tax levy,
construction of the 9th Ave Campus began in 1923. The Hospital was designed by Maurice Briscoe,
a Denver native. The design incorporated
space for patient care, clinical and research work, and classrooms. Besides the
Psychopathic Hospital and University Hospital, a nurses residence, and a power
plant were also built. The University of Colorado Health Sciences Campus was
dedicated on January 23rd, 1925. Dean Meader resigned as Dean in
1925, satisfied that his duty to the University of Colorado had been
fulfilled. He died at the age of 80 in
At the time the
original campus was begun, much of the area around the original buildings was
vacant, and it was thought that the campus would never outgrow the land. That was not the case, and when the Fitzsimmons
Army Hospital Base became available in 1996, the University of Colorado Health
Sciences Campus began to move on what become the Anschutz Medical Campus. Most of the buildings of the original 9th
Ave Campus have been demolished for redevelopment, except the nurse’s
residence, one of the original building on the campus.