The Health Sciences Library is hosting a week-long platelet drive for
Children’s Hospital Colorado — Sign up today!
Dates: Monday, March 30th to Friday, April 3rd
Time: 6:30am – 12:15pm
Location: Children’s Hospital Colorado Blood Donor Center on 13123 E 16th Ave, Aurora, CO 80045 (Map)
How do I make an appointment? Call (720) 777-5398
What do I bring to my appointment? Your government issued ID
You can help kids, like Connor, that need platelets for treatment.
Conner Odell probably wouldn’t be alive today if not for the generosity of strangers who donated to the Blood Donor Center at Children’s Hospital Colorado, and the blood transfusions he received as a result.
When Conner was just 18 months old, he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and underwent six months of intensive chemotherapy treatment. His ability to produce new blood cells was being damaged as a side effect of the treatment, and the toddler was left weak, lethargic, and in need of blood transfusions.
While the chemotherapy rounds sapped Conner’s strength, the blood transfusions he received after restored his energy and strength. Over the course of his treatment, Conner received 23 blood transfusions from a total of 21 different donors, without which he could not have survived the chemotherapy that was necessary to treat his cancer.
Today, Conner is a healthy, happy four year old, and a protective older brother to two younger siblings. Knowing the challenges he overcame, and the cancer he survived, one can’t help but wonder if Conner’s compassionate nature was inspired by the strangers who selflessly donated blood that saved his life.
Why Donate Platelets at Children’s Hospital Colorado?
- Platelets only last five days, so we always need platelet donors.
- Children’s Hospital Colorado provided over 3,400 platelet transfusions in the last year alone.
- Our Blood Donor Center provides 99.3% of the blood transfused at here at Children’s Hospital Colorado.
- Having our own Blood Donor Center allows us to meet the specialized needs of children.
What is a platelet donation?
Platelets are the components of your blood necessary to control bleeding. During a procedure called apheresis, we use a Trima machine to separate your blood into its individual components: red cells, plasma & platelets. The machine can then collect just the platelets from your blood (or a combination of platelets, plasma &/or red cells) and return the rest using just one needle.
- Platelet donations take about 2 hours.
- We provide movies to watch, free Wi-Fi & plenty of snacks and drinks.
- You can donate platelets every 2 weeks (up to 24 times a year).
- Children’s Hospital Colorado has on-site child care (call for details).
- Your donation could save or enhance up to FIVE children’s lives!
How are platelets used?
Platelets are given to children with a variety of medical conditions such as:
- Undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- Bone marrow transplants
- Organ transplants
- Surgical procedures
- Blood disorders
BEFORE YOU DONATE
- Be sure to eat a full meal an hour or two before your donation.
- Drink plenty of water and limit caffeine intake.
- Review the eligibility questions on our website.
- Increase your calcium intake an hour before your donation.
- Avoid aspirin for at least 48 hours before donating platelets.*If you have been prescribed aspirin by your doctor, please get your doctors approval before discontinuing.
Sign up for the platelet drive today!
Your donation could save or enhance up to FIVE children’s lives!
For questions or to schedule an appointment, please call (720) 777-5398.
Vivienne Houghton, MLIS
Web Services Librarian | Instructor
Health Sciences Library
303-724-2178 | email@example.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | #CUHSLibrary