Submissions for The Human Touch
“The Human Touch 2010″ is UC Denver Anschutz Medical Campus’ literary and arts anthology. The publication strives to develop and nurture skills of observation, analysis, empathy and self reflection to promote humane health care, by offering an outlet for the creative expression of the connection between patients, family and health care professionals. Writings and artworks foster an understanding of cultural and social contexts of the individual experience of illness and the way medicine is practiced. Authors and editors include students, faculty, staff and patients. It is produced by the Medical Humanities Program (H. N. Claman, MD, director) of the Center for Bioethics and Humanities.
Please send your art, photography (including photographs of your artwork), poetry, and prose to email@example.com by January 15th, 2010.
Submissions will be reviewed by the editorial board following the submission deadline on January 15th, 2010. Final decisions will be made by March 5, 2010.
Though some aspect of health care will provide the subject for many entries, submissions on all topics are encouraged.
- Up to 5 works may be submitted by each author or artist.
- Each work must be submitted as a separate electronic file.
- All submissions should include the name of artist, the title of the submission, mailing address, and email address. We also request a short biographical paragraph (no more than 50 words), though it is not required.
- Poetry and prose submissions should not exceed 1,500 words.
- Visual artists should submit work in a digital format (preferably JPEG). If scanned, please ensure that the resolution is 300 dpi or greater. We also request that you do not send files greater than 30 MB. Please note that it is not possible for all visual media to be printed in color due to budget restraints.
- Previously published work will be considered, but a citation is required in order to recognize the original publication. Proper acknowledgement and citation is the author’s responsibility.
- Any work that is edited or altered will be returned to the author for approval prior to publication.
- No work will be accepted that compromises the privacy of patients or health care providers. Names and identifying characteristics or details should be altered prior to submission.
- Submissions must be received by January 15th, 2010 in order to be considered for the Spring 2010 publication.
The Human Touch Journal is edited and produced by students at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
Questions can be emailed to TheHumanTouchJournal@gmail.com.